Bridging Open Work Permit

Bridging Open Work Permits (BOWP, sometimes known as a “bridging visa”) are a much-welcomed initiative by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Permanent residence applicants who apply from within Canada are frequently in possession of a valid Canadian work permit. The Bridging Open Work Permit was intended to allow people to continue working in Canada while their permanent residency application is being processed.

IRCC realised that applicants to certain permanent residence programmes who had valid work status in Canada but whose work status might expire before a decision on their application for permanent residence would benefit from a work permit to “bridge” the gap between the expiration of their current work permit and the decision on their permanent residence application.

Bridging Open Work Permit eligibility

To be eligible for a BOWP, applicants must have applied under one of the following programs:

  • Federal Skilled Worker Class
  • Canadian Experience Class
  • Federal Skilled Trades Class
  • Provincial Nominee Program
  • Caring for Children Class
  • Caring for People with High Medical Needs Class
Check for Eligibility